Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Repairs

I have only had to do a few things to the Versatile so far. The first problem(besides the tail light) was the drive train sounding loud after hitting a particularly hard bump. I had pictures of the chain chewing through the body somewhere. As it turned out, all that was wrong was that an O ring on an idler sprocket had let go. While I was not able to find an exact replacement, I found something that worked easily enough. To check out the chain I just needed to remove some aluminum plates from the bottom of the VM. The fasteners are standard Torx sizes.

The only major problem I have had, was with the shifter for the Rolhoff hub. There are two tubes, one inside the other, which depend on superglue to transmit the torque forces from the outside to the inside. I was still able to shift, if I grabbed low enough, and squeezed hard enough, but had brushburned knuckles by the time I made it back home.


Since the shifter is on the right control handle, I needed to remove the right wheel, and loosen the brake cable, so I would have room to get the top of the control handle off to access the shifter. The scary part was using a torch to heat the brake lever mount. This was necessary to break free the loktite which secured the mount in place. I had to heat it long enough to get things smoking a little. Once the brake lever mount was removed, it was just a matter of pulling the two shifter halves apart, regluing them and reassembling everything else.


This is a cutaway view of the 14 speed Rolhoff hub which the shifter controls. Rather than being biult into a wheel, it is installed mid-drive at the front pivot of the swing arm on the Versatile.

The only other repair I have had to do was the right brake cable. The life of this cable was no doubt shortened by my getting it too hot when repairing the shifter. It is interesting to note that while I knew something was wrong, I didn't lose the brakes, since the reversing wheel, which ties the left and right brakes together, continued to pull the lower half of the right brake cable even though the upper half at the handle was broken. I took the time to radius the point where the cable passes through the lever, as Elrey Stevens ( the first American Versatile owner)
had recommended. This will reduce stress at the lever and extend cable life.



3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Hirsch said...

Just found the new blog. Always good to read your detailed posts. You are quite the wrench. I hope you are getting some riding in.

10:24 PM  
Blogger WFvN said...

I also just found this blog. It's very funny to see pictures of your Versatile since I'm the owner of Versatile 021 which has the same color (that makes both of us the only owners of Versatiles in this color). The first time I saw a picture of your Versatile with the Cyclone attached to it, I was very puzzled, something wasn't right..... 'My bike but something isn't right, I just can't remember where the picture is taken!" But when I take a closer look, I could find one more thing that wasn't right: the wheelcover on your Versatile is completely black; mine has the Versatile-logo.

It's a shame I didn't meet you. When I heard you were in the Netherlands to get your Versatile, I tried to contact you when you were in Zwolle. I understood you stayed at Paulus' place (and I see your Versatile standing in the common room of the building on one of the pictures). After work I went straight into Zwolle hoping to find you there. I had a telephone number which I could try to connect (don't remember who's it was but it was the cellphone of a lady). Unfortunately you left earlier that day.

I've added the URL of your weblog to my own:
http://versatile021.blogspot.com
I don't know if it's much use for you; my weblog is in dutch. You might be interested in the weblog of Versatile017; that one is in english.

Best regards,

Wilfred van Norel
Zwolle, The Netherlands

11:07 AM  
Blogger ethan said...

Hi Folks,
Sadly, Dave Shank, owner of this Blog passed away, I believe in February of '08. Below is an on-line tribute that I wrote for him.

Hi Folks,
I received the sad news today that Dave Shank passed away over the weekend. For those who may not know, Dave had been fighting cancer for at least two years.

Dave was one of the early adopters in the velomobile world (at least on this side of the Atlantic), having bought a Versatile back in 2005, and then built an FAW+ from one of David Eggleston's kits. I met him for the first time at the 2005 New England Human Powered Vehicle Rally when he pulled up in a white rental cargo van and dragged out the Versatile just at the beginning of 24 hours of torrential rains that made that event particularly memorable. We had dinner together that night, and among other things, talked about his adventure traveling around the Netherlands in his new Versatile prior to having it shipped it back to his home in Buffalo, NY. The HPV community in the Netherlands is pretty active (and a tight knit group) and made him feel welcome, even offering their homes as he toured around. This was something I experienced myself when I had been there earlier that same year, and talking with him about our experiences in the land of the velomobile was a shared evening that I won't soon forget.

We met up again at the 2006 rally, when he arrived in the white rental cargo van- this time with both velomobiles inside .

I will miss seeing him at future gatherings.

Rest In Peace, Dave.

-Ethan

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home