Monday, June 26, 2006

day one continued....


Here's the Allight version of the Alleweder. I just completed biulding a Flevobike Alleweder from a kit purchased from VelomobileUSA. The blog on it's construction can be found at :http://velomobile1.blogspot.com .









The yellow limit was also referred to as the Alleweder "C" model. There was much to look at in the shop as I waited for the Versatile to be completed. I also took the time to pack everything from my suitcase into the trailer or the velomobile. I had a tent, thermarest pad and sleeping bag, as well as clothes , soap, deoderant washcloth &pak towel etc. Enough stuff for my two week stay. There was a campground not far away in the town of Elberg. The nice people at Tempelman gave me directions to get me onto a bike route on my atlas, and I was on my way. They were also kind enough to let me leave my suitcase there, to be picked up at the end of my journey.



Here I am with the trailer and velomobile packed, ready to leave for Elberg. This was in the late afternoon on Saturday, about 30 hours after leaving, since I got six hours bonus time travelling accross the ocean.


This was my first campsite, in Elberg. I didn't sleep much that night because I had the worst headache I had ever experienced. When I looked in the mirror the next morning one of my eyes was bright red. Tylenol. I needed it bad. I tried to get some the night before, but only succeeded in getting hopelessly lost. A man who couldn't speak enough English to tell me the way to go had me follow him out to the main road in his car, or I might still be there. When I checked out, they told me I could get Paracetamol (tylenol) at the camp store.



This is the view from in front of the camp store. The next place to go was to Apeldoorn, the home of Erik Wannee. Erik kept money for the Versatile, trailer, accessories, shipping, and my needs while there in an account for me. I had wired the money over months previously to minimize the loss due to the falling value of the dollar relative to the Euro. On the way to Apeldoorn, I was regularly passed by people in their 70's on heavy old upright bikes. I read an article that wondered why European's health was so much better than americans. It seems pretty simple to me. They RIDE their bikes, instead of using them to clutter up the garage.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home